Cleaning & Upkeep
Your new cabinets are an investment, and with minimal care you can keep them looking as lovely as the day they were installed. We have some basic cabinet maintenance suggestions that will keep your kitchen or bathroom cabinet investment looking fantastic for years to come!
Cabinet Maintenance, Cleaning & Polishing
keep these things in mind:
- Your cabinet door and drawer fronts are hardwood and deserve the care you give to fine furniture. Be sure to remove any splatters or spills immediately to avoid damage to the finish.
- Dust your cabinets with a soft cloth. You can dampen the cloth very slightly or spray the cloth with a dust remover. You can also clean the interior of your cabinets occasionally the same way.
- If you wish, you can polish any wood and laminate surfaces with a good non-oil based furniture polish a few times a year. Don’t use paste wax or polishes with silicone. They can create a wax build-up that is hard to remove. The residue will attract dust and make your cabinet finish look dull.
- Never use any other types of cleaners or polishes on your cabinets, including bleach, detergents, citrus-based cleaners, ammonia-based cleaners, steel wool, soap pads, or abrasive cleaners. These will damage the wood finish, possibly beyond repair. Check with your manufacturer for cleaning products recommended for your cabinetry.
- Use a putty stick, available at hardware stores, to cover minor scratches. Putty sticks are available in tones to match every cabinet finish.
- Be cautious about positioning small appliances that generate heat, such as coffee makers and toasters. Cabinet finishes cannot handle temperatures higher than 174° Fahrenheit without damage to their finish. Don’t position or mount those appliances where those temperatures can reach your cabinet doors and drawers.
- Be aware that center panels in cabinets may shrink/expand seasonally due to changes in humidity.
Maintaining your Cabinet Hardware:
- Cabinet hardware is extremely sturdy and generally needs nothing more than occasional cleaning with soap and water to stay looking nice. Here are a few basic tips.
- Drawer slides are pre-greased to ensure effective operation. You can wipe them off gently to remove dust but be sure not to clean off that grease, or your drawers will not continue to work well.
- Hinges are also maintenance-free. Just wipe them with a soft cloth to remove any dust or unexpected splashes of liquid.
- Occasionally you may find that your cabinet knobs loosen with use. This is not unusual. Just tighten them back up by holding the knob at the front and tightening the screw at the back with an appropriate screwdriver.
The Pierce Promise
One promise. One warranty.
Simple is Better
At Pierce Flooring, our team takes great pride in bringing your home project to life. We always offer free in home measurements and design consultations.
Here at Pierce Flooring, our talented team will work with you to resolve any concerns you may have. We always strive to do what is right and fair.
Owner Ron Pierce expects everyone at Pierce to “treat every customer in a manner that they will do business with us for the rest of their lives."
90+ Years Strong
That historic Pierce Promise has been upheld for more than 90 years, ever since our Montana-based family business started in 1924.